SK 497333 New Tythe Street Mills. A single storey brick-built shed type lace factory with slated north light roof of eight bays. A separate office block has a datestone of 1904 on the south gable. Built for R Granger & Sons Ltd, lace manufacturers who are still in occupation. (1)
The original single storey factory on this site was built for the 14 Levers machines removed by Richard Granger from Gamble Street, Radford in 1902. Richard Granger's four sons joined him in the business known by his name. It was one of the few Levers makers organised vertically and until 1948 carried out all processes, except for marketing. Granger's expanded rapidly and a fourth machine shop was under construction when the First World War was declared. The firm weathered the inter-war decline in the trade and during the Second World War made one million hair nets a week for munition workers, and post-war pioneered the use of nylon yarn in the making of Levers lace. Grangers still had 26 Levers machines in 1956 and is now working both Levers and raschel machines. (2)
The offices attached to the lace factory are included on the Erewash Local List, built in 1904. Designed by Gorman & Ross. They are of red brick beneath a plain tile roof. The front elevation is single storey. It features seven cross casement windows, the three central windows set beneath a shaped gable. The return elevation features a canted bay window with a shaped parapet. (3)
R Granger & Sons Ltd, lace manufacturers, ceased operation in 2001. Now occupied by Nexus Retail Interiors Ltd. (4)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 34.
Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s. p 290.
*Internet Web Site: Erewash Borough Council. List of buildings of local interest. www.erewash.gov.uk. LL/60.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2005. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: Gazetteer of Sites, Part II, Borough of Erewash (second edition). p. 33.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 497 334 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)
LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2017 4:48PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.