Monument record MDR5717 - Fletchers Lace Factory, New Tythe Street, Long Eaton
Type and Period (2)
- LACE FACTORY (Victorian to Unknown - 1875 AD)
- SILK MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Four-storey brick-built factory approx. 60x150ft with slated roof having curved top cast iron windows. There are two square-ended stair turrets on the east side. Each has a hoist over the top floor to served loading doors on each floor. A chimney at the north-west corner, which was octagonal, has been taken down to ridge height. The chimney base is square from ground level to the eaves. A stone on the west side of the chimney plinth appears to have had a date, but is badly weather. The building appears on the OS map of 1880 as a silk factory. It contained lace manufacturers by 1895. Supertone Pianos used the factory between the two wars. Bennetts Fairground equipment manufacturers were in occupation until the late 1960s. Premises vacant in 1971. (1, 2) SK 497334 New Tythe Street, Fletchers Factory. Originally a four storey brick-built tenement lace factory, steam-powered (30 HP) of c. 1875. In 1974 the roof and top two floors were removed and a flat roof made. Between 1919 and 1951 it was used by Supertone Pianos. Now [c. 1986] occupied by Pressac, electronic component manufacturers. (3) This five-storey tenement factory, 140 feet long and about 35 feet wide, was built in the 1870s, possibly by Richard Fletcher, the sixteenth child of Edward Fletcher of Heanor. It was often called 'The White Elephant Factory' because its narrow width made it difficult to let for lace making. By 1925 it had become a piano factory. 11 lace makers were listed in 1899 and 7 in 1914. (4) Now occupied by See Tec . (5)
- <1> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Keith Reedman, May 1971.
- <2> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 10(i).1, with photos.
- <3> SDR6754 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 34.
- <4> SDR18854 Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s. p 289.
- <5> SDR22131 Correspondence: Wells, C. 2014. Email to HER Officer 27/05/2014 regarding flint fragment from Hope Brink. Email. p. 33.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 496 333 (50m by 58m) (Multiple Site Centre)|
|Civil Parish||LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2017 4:48PM