A thorough survey of the Trent Navigation in the early 1790s identified a considerable number of shallows, some of which had a minimum of only 24 inches, the worst being opposite the entrance to the River Soar. In order to remedy the situation, a cut at Thrumpton was recommended. The cut, now known as the Cranfleet Canal, and associated lock (see SMR 22597) were opened in 1797 as part of a number of improvements made to the Trent Navigation. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Hadfield, C. 1970. The Canals of the East Midlands, 2nd ed.. p 35, 75, 76, 202.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 497 313 (100m by 100m)
LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 6 2014 2:01PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.