SK 491311 Sawley, Harrington Bridge. Opened in 1790 to replace the ferry and ford crossing of the River Trent at Sawley. It was designed by T Harrison of Lancaster and had three main semi-elliptical sandstone arches over the river as well as smaller flood arches. The main arches were replaced in 1906 with steel girder arches. (1)
Bridge of 1790 with 20th century additions. Constructed of ashlar and brick and having s ix small segmental stone arches with semi-circular cut-waters between and to either end. This is the one part of the 18th century bridge which survived the floods of 1904. (2)
Original twin toll houses at the northern end were demolished in the 1930s but the broken line of the parapet and brick infill show their former position. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 39.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2005. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: Gazetteer of Sites, Part II, Borough of Erewash (second edition). p. 38.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 471 311 (61m by 221m) (Approximate)
SAWLEY, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2015 5:08PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.