SK 482325 Sawley, Atlas Mills. Single-storey brick tenement lace factory with north-light roofs, in two sections divided by a yard. Part rebuilt. (1)
This mill was built in 1910. Although Anglo-Pencil had moved into part of it by 1934, it continued to be occupied by lace makers into the 1960s. Three of the original Levers makers were still tenants in 1959 - Charles Edward Stevenson with 18 machines, Amos Hogg with 10 machines and Wilmot & Stapleton with 7 machines. Listed tenants in 1925 included 6 lace makers, 1 card puncher and 1 hosiery manufacturer; in 1959 they included 6 lace makers. (2)
Present occupiers are Lace Mechanics, Whitehead Designs (upholstery) and S Perrons Ltd (elastic and rigid braid manufacturers). (3)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash.
Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s. p 291.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2005. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: Gazetteer of Sites, Part II, Borough of Erewash (second edition). p 39.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 48123 32470 (point)
LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2014 3:53PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.