Building record MDR5740 - Waingroves Hall, Clay Pit, Ripley
Type and Period (1)
- COUNTRY HOUSE (Stuart to Georgian - 1671 AD? to 1800 AD)
Waingrif [now Waingroves] "was given by Ralph Fitz Stephen to the Knights Hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem, for a house of that order to be built". The deed of gift is dated AD 1147 but "an agreement between the abbot and canons of Derley, and the hospitalers, ….is dated A.D. 1121". (1) Founded 1147(?) "There is some doubt about the date of foundation, … It seems probable that this had only a brief existence and was possibly supplanted by Yeaveley in 1189-99. (2) Waingroves or Waingriff is a hamlet in Ripley parish anciently belonging to the Knight Hospitallers, to whom it was given by Ralph Fitz-Stephen, that they might found a house of the Order at this place. No preceptory was erected; the land was let to a tenant, and at the Reformation passed into lay hands. Waingroves Hall, the residence of Mr Charles Haslam, bears the date 1671. (3) The building is now divided into two residences: Waingroves Hall and Waingroves Hall Farm. It is generally accepted as occupying the site of the medieval Manor-house owned by the Knights Hospitallers. The Hall was built c. 1690 but extensively rebuilt in 1800. There are no known remains of a medieval building and it is not known from where the date 1671 [Authy.3] is derived. (4) No change. The external character of the buildings are entirely c.1800 and the adjacent fishponds are also of this date. (5) Waingroves Hall is a grade II listed, early 18th century house, refronted in 1800 with minor later alterations. It is built from red brick with stone dressings and rusticated quoins. (6) Waingroves Hall is a pleasing small seat of two piles of three storeys and three bays, first built 1671/80 and remodelled in 1790/1800 (datestones). There are thin sill bands, quoins, top parapet and gabled roof. The entrance front upper floor windows have rusticated keyblocks carved with sun, moon, owls and the arms of Strelley; all these flourishes being the legacy of the Regency rebuilding. The house was initially put up for Richard, son of Richard Clayton of Codnor Breach, who died in 1697, and his wife Alice. The house later came to William Strelley of Oakerthorpe. He was a keen horse racer, and buried one of his mounts under a fine slender stone obelisk in front of the house in the 1770s; the plinth is still there. His son, Robert, undertook the final rebuilding. (7) Vernacular building of 1680 with later alterations in 1790. (8)
- <1> SDR102 Bibliographic reference: Tanner. 1744. Notitia Monastica. 81.
- <2> SDR93 Bibliographic reference: Knowles, D & Hadcock, R. 1953. Medieval Religious Houses of England and Wales. p 247.
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 579.
- <4> SDR6501 Personal Observation: F1 WW 13-OCT-59.
- <5> SDR6585 Personal Observation: F2 FRH 10-OCT-66.
- <6> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1158990.
- <7> SDR19744 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 2001. The Derbyshire Country House: 2. p 317.
- <8> SDR23380 Index: Evans, R. 1976. Some dated vernacular buildings in Derbyshire.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4117 4860 (22m by 18m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||RIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 7 2015 9:47AM