Building record MDR5750 - St James Church, Cross Hill, Codnor

Type and Period (1)

  • (Victorian - 1843 AD to 1890 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

Codnor and Loscoe were formed in to an ecclesiastical parish in 1844, at which time a church was erected at Cross Hill, about midway between the two villages. It is a substantial edifice of stone, consisting of chancel with vestry on the north side, nave, and a west tower with embattled parapet and pinnacles. The style is Gothic, without any architectural display. The chancel and vestry were added in 1890. The west end is crossed by a gallery, which increases accommodation to 517. The tower contains one bell, brought from Eastwood old church when it was pulled down. It is inscribed: 'God Save the Queen, 1713'. (1) St James' Church was built in 1843. The Domesday Book records a church in Codnor, Heanor, Langley and Smithycote, and it is possible that this was in Heanor. (2) A church that was built in 1844 by Robert Barker. The chancel was built 1888-90 by J Holden. There are also 20th century additions. It is built of coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings, and has slate roofs with crested ridge tiles, stone coped gables and eastern ridge crosses. It comprises western tower, five-bay nave, two-bay chancel with north vestry and parish room. The interior has a western gallery with a blind arcaded gallery on iron columns. There is a Caernarvon arched doorcase into north vestry, with pointed plasterwork panel over. There are scissor truss roofs to the chancel, and arched braced trusses to the nave. Interior fittings are all late 19th or 20th century in date. There are three late 19th century marble wall memorials. See list description for more details. (3) St James' Church is a 19th century church built in the Early English style. It is a commissioner's church by R Barber and dates from 1843-4. The chancel, by J Holden, was added in 1888-90. The font was found in the precincts of Codnor castle and has been used at one point as a pig trough. (4)

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 511.
  • <2> Index: TPAT. 2549. 2549.
  • <3> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1158522, UID: 79067.
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: I A H Combes. 2004. Anglican Churches of Derbyshire. p 59.



Grid reference Centred SK 4186 4874 (30m by 23m) (Centre)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 18 2013 10:00AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.