Building record MDR5770 - St Andrew's Church, Station Road, Stanley
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
St. Andrew's Chapel, Stanley, formerly comprised nave and chancel in the form of a rectangle. 'It has quite recently  been restored, and enlarged towards the east by an extension of the chancel… a chancel arch has been inserted in what was the east wall, a new chancel thrown out, and a vestry built on the north side'. In the south wall is a small Norman round-headed priest's doorway, now blocked up, and a small pointed Early English light. Other features of this period indicate '…That the chapel was rebuilt circa 1200. The pointed east window, of three principal lights, which has been removed to the same position in the new chancel, is about a century later…'. (1) The church is in normal use [in 1966]. (2) The Church of St Andrew is a small much restored medieval church consisting of nave, chancel, and bellcote. It is of the 12th century, 13th century and later. Jacobean pulpit, altar rails. Old font etc. (3-4) The Church of St Andrew is a parish church of the 12th, 13th and 14th century, and 1874-5 by Evans and Jolly. It is Grade II Listed. (5)
- <1> SDR11676 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. III. pp 311-2.
- <2> SDR6137 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 28-OCT-66.
- <3> SDR9036 Bibliographic reference: MHLG (Prov List) SE Derby RD Dec 1960 31.
- <4> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 324.
- <5> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
- <6> SDR15674 Index: TPAT. 2550. 2550.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4193 4041 (23m by 13m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||STANLEY, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 29 2012 3:01PM