Building record MDR5771 - St Wilfrid's Church, The Village, West Hallam
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1250 AD to 1900 AD)
West Hallam 'church, which is dedicated to St. Wilfred, consists of nave and aisles, north porch, chancel with north chapel, and west tower'. In 1855 the church was extensively restored. 'The north arcade approximates to the early English style, and cannot, we think be later than 1275; but the opposite arcade is distinctly Decorated, and seems to be circa 1320. The chancel arch corresponds with the work of the earlier arcade. ...The hood mould of the south door is...of Decorated date. There are three clerestory windows... erected in the Perpendicular period. The north aisle is continued eastwards so as to form a chapel to the chancel, into which it opens by a Decorated archway... The chancel has much new work about it; but one of the two-light square-headed windows on the south side is of Decorated date, and so are the buttresses at its east end. The two-light north chancel window... is of Perpendicular date, and exactly corresponds with the architecture of the tower and its deeply-recessed west windows of three lights'. (1) The church at West Hallam is dedicated to St Wilfrid. It is an ancient edifice of stone, and comprises chancel with north chapel, nave, aisles, north porch, and a west tower. There is reason to believe that the church was built by one of the Cromwell's in about 1275, as the north arcade and the chancel arch are of the Early English style that prevailed at this time. There are further Decorated and Perpendicular alterations and additions. Extensive restoration work was carried out in 1855. Ancient stained glass of St James the Less remains in one of the clerestory windows, and it is thought that each of the remaining twelve clerestory windows were originally filled with the figures of Apostles. There are also fragments of ancient glass in one of the windows of the south chancel wall. The church also contains a few ancient monuments. (2) St Wilfrid's Church has a nave and two aisles. The north arcade has octagonal piers and is difficult to date. The rest of the church is largely 14th century in date. (4) A grade II* listed parish church dating to the 14th and 15th centuries, with restoration work carried out in the 19th century. It is built of coursed squared gritstone with gritstone dressings. It has a Welsh slate roof with decorative ridge tiles. It comprises west tower, aisled nave, chancel and north porch. See list description for more details. (5)
- <1> SDR11672 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. pp 219-29.
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. pp 602-3.
- <3> SDR6137 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 28-OCT-66.
- <4> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 349.
- <5> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Original UID: 352310.
- <6> SDR15671 Index: TPAT. 2547. 2547.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4322 4111 (26m by 15m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||WEST HALLAM, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 7 2011 5:14PM