Building record MDR5772 - Former chapel, 28 and 29 Church Lane, Mapperley
Type and Period (2)
'Alexander Stavenby, Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield, 1224-40, sanctioned an arrangement between the Abbot of Dale, .... and Hugh de Strelley and Matilda, his wife, by which the latter were permitted to establish a chapel within the enclose ... of their mansion at Mapperley …' (1) The Strelleys had a mansion and an estate at Mapperley; and as early as the middle of the 13th century, episcopal sanction was given to Hugh de Strelley and Matilda, his wife, to establish a chapel within the grounds of their mansion at Mapperley. The permission to attend mass here was confined exclusively to the family and household of Hugh and Matilda, and neither could any marriage service be performed therein. A few traces of this old chapel may be seen built into the wall of a house near the church'. (2) The chapel has been converted into two cottages and modernised . (3) A grade II listed former chapel, which has since been converted in to two houses (number's 28 and 29). The former chapel dates to the 16th century. It was altered in the 19th century and converted into houses circa 1920. It is built of rubble sandstone, red brick and applied timber framing, with sandstone dressings and two 19th century ashlar diagonal buttresses to the east end. It has a part concrete tile roof, with a brick stack through the southern pitch of the roof; the other part of the roof being of red clay tiles with a brick gable stack to the west. It is of two storeys, with each cottage occupying a single bay. No 29 to the east has a glazed lean-to with an inserted door and window below on the southern side. The top of the lean-to cuts through the only original window which is two-light and has ovolo moulded, semi-circular headed lights, originally with carved heads to tops, and with a hoodmould over. Above is a section of later brickwork with two 20th century casements. To the centre of the east gable wall is a 19th century three-light ovolo moulded mullion window, with ogee headed lights and pierced spandrels under a hoodmould. Above there is 20th century applied timber framing and to the north wall is a similar two-light 20th century window. No 28 to the west has a substantial quoined doorcase with an inserted 20th century window to the south façade, with a 20th century window and door to the east under an archway that joins a 19th century addition to the house at first floor level. Above, there are 20th century casements in an area of 20th century brickwork. The north wall has a similar two-light window to that of No 29. The interior has a large cambered tie in No 29. (4) Remnants of the old chapel can be clearly seen at No 29 Mapperley village [see website for photograph]. It was an important stopping point on the lead mining route between Wirksworth and Crich to Dale Abbey and Sandiacre. It was very unusual for villages to have either a chapel or church as churches tended to be built in central places. The old chapel font appeared to have at one time been deposited at the Derby Free Library and Museum, but when this building was being renovated in 1877-8, the font was rescued by C Cox, who hoped it could eventually be returned to Mapperley. Dimensions of the bowl were taken (30" x 25" x 11") and a drawing produced showing its unique cruciform shape. By 1905 the font had been returned to Mapperley and placed in the garden adjoining the Old Black House for safe keeping until the old chapel had been restored. In 1944 there is a report of there being on old font in the old chapel garden, although it is not known if it is still there. (5)
- <1> SDR11672 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. p. 216.
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p. 566.
- <3> SDR6137 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 28-OCT-66.
- <4> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No 1158371.
- <5> SDR23961 *Internet Web Site: Sarson, E. 'Mapperley Chapel of Ease', on the Mapperley Village History website. http://www.mapperleyhistory.com/History_Pages/Chapel-of-Ease-A.html.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4346 4296 (13m by 17m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||MAPPERLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 13 2017 12:03PM