Monument record MDR5773 - Mapperley Park
Type and Period (1)
- PARK (Medieval to Elizabethan - 1269 AD to 1597 AD)
- None recorded
"The Willoughby family had a park at Maperley". (1) A park at Mapperley is referred to in 1269. Parkhall occurs in 1597. [O.S. 6" shows Mapperley Park at SK 426432 and Park Hall Farm at 424430. The south boundary may be represented by the parish boundary from 41534299 to 42584241]. (3) No evidence of an early pale was seen . (4) William Peverel had custody of the manor at Maperley for the king at the time of the Domesday Survey. The area around what was formally Park Hall is littered with '-park-' placenames suggesting that this could have once been the site of an extensive parkland. (5)
- <1> SDR13276 Bibliographic reference:
- <2> SDR84 Bibliographic reference: Lysons, D & Lysons, S. 1817. Magna Britannia, Volume 5: Derbyshire. p 173.
- <3> SDR5962 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part III. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXIX.. p 584.
- <4> SDR6069 Personal Observation: F1 BHS 08-NOV-66.
- <5> SDR20777 Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp. 112-113.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4256 4295 (1807m by 956m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MAPPERLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 2 2020 12:19PM