Monument record MDR5775 - Shipley medieval park, Shipley
Type and Period (1)
- PARK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
(Area centred SK 4344) Shipley Park (NAT). (1) Two parks, extant in the early 14th century, have been recorded in Shipley parish. (2) The earliest recorded date of 'shippeley park' is 1330. (3) In 1331 Robert de Strelley claimed two parks in the manor of Shipley; one was allowed, but the other, Estinker, was stocked with deer, but being only a new enclosure was not allowed as a park. (4,5) A 'Robert' (son of Robert de Strellery) claimed two parks in Shipley in 1331. The manor had been left to the de Strellery family through an heiress, Elizabeth. (6) From records it would seem Shipley was a sporting estate. Robert Strelley claimed to have two deer parks in 1331, though this was disputed, and he was only allowed to have one. It was recorded as late as the early 1500s that there was a park keeper at Shipley called Walter. The village of Mapperley, next to Shipley, also belonged to the Strelleys, and some of the family lived there. Hugh de Strelley and his wife founded a chapel in the enclosure of their Mapperley mansion and were allowed a chaplain there circa 1230. (7)
- <1> SDR11953 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1981. OS 1:10000.
- <2> SDR84 Bibliographic reference: Lysons, D & Lysons, S. 1817. Magna Britannia, Volume 5: Derbyshire. pp clxix-clxx.
- <3> SDR13112 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. 'The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part II', English Place-Name Society. p502.
- <4> SDR7547 Article in serial: Kerry, C. 1892. 'Notes to the Pedigree of the Strelleys of Strelley, Oakerthorpe, and Hazlebach', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 14. p72-118.
- <5> SDR5911 Bibliographic reference: Shirley, E. 1867. English Deer and Deer Parks. p171.
- <6> SDR20777 Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp. 152-153.
- <7> SDR23458 Bibliographic reference: Derbyshire County Council. 1985. The Shipley Estate until 1600.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4382 4415 (1654m by 2133m)|
|Civil Parish||SHIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 28 2015 11:50AM