Monument record MDR5781 - Baldock Mill (site of), Dale Abbey
Type and Period (4)
- None recorded
SK 429404 Baldock Mill Site. Mill race, pond and other ground features of Baldock Mill, a corn mill formerly owned by Dale Abbey. (1) The mill is marked as 'disused' on the OS map of 1900, with symbols indicating the mill pond was beginning to silt up (2) Only the site remains of the old water mill in Cat and Fiddle Lane, not far from the windmill, but the mill race and pond are still recognisable. The original mill was built between 1185 and 1195 by a lay canon from nearby Dale Abbey. It is marked on Burdett's map and also on the first Ordnance map in 1836. Some excavations on the site in the 1960s exposed a number of ceramic kiln tiles. (3) In August 1969 members of the Ilkeston & District Local History Society carried out excavations over several weekends and uncovered sections of wall lying at right angles to the mill stream. (4) In the late 1960s a series of small-scale excavations were carried out by the Ilkeston and District Local History Society on the site of Baldock Mill. The mill, built in the 18th century and demolished in the 1930s, was believed to be on the site of a medieval mill, probably built by the monks of Dale Abbey, perhaps that recorded as having been constructed in 1185. The excavations were haphazard and on a very small scale. No records of the work survive beyond a brief published note that describes the unearthing of a wall at right-angles to the mill stream, together with some other fragments of walling and flagstones. To be obvious in excavations of this type, the walls must have been of brick or stone and so probably belonged to the 18th century mill buildings. It seems likely that further buried remains of the 18th century mill and in all probability also of the medieval mill may survive in this area. (5)
- <1> SDR6754 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 7.
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet L.4, 1900.
- <3> SDR19066 Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. B57, p 99.
- <4> SDR19727 Article in serial: Ilkeston & District Local History Society. 1969-1971. 'Reports' in The Ilkeston & District Local History Society's Newsletter. Volume 1, nos 8, 20, 24.
- <5> SDR659 Unpublished document: Walker, J. 1993. Stanley Grange, Derbyshire: An Archaeological Assessment. 93. p 11.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 429 403 (542m by 152m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||DALE ABBEY, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 28 2014 3:09PM