West Hallam Colliery and West Hallam Iron Works can be seen on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. (1)
The mainly levelled site of the former industrial complex of H. B. Whitehouse and Sons' West Hallam Coal and Iron works. The complex comprised collieries, ironworks and brickworks. Only residual spoil heaps and some remains of bricked-up shafts now survive (1986). Part of the site, at SK 445 424, was used to screen opencast coal extraction of nearby sites during and after the Second World War. The screens have been maintained up until now, but are likely to fall in to disrepair following the impending removal of accumulated coal stocks. (2)
The site appears on Bing Maps Aerial View as an area of scrub and trees. Some remains of the former works and the mineral railway lines still appear to survive as earthworks (2012). (3)
Probably the earliest known mineshaft on the Shipley West site dates back to 1795 known as the Engine Pit.
In the 1850's several smaller collieries were operating along Mapperley Brook, from Brook Farm (now owned by Mr. W. Smith) eastwards towards the Nutbrook Canal. The Whitehouse Iron works lease commenced in 1848 closing in 1886. Other collieries working during this period were West Hallam 1, (which had 2 shafts, 117 yards and 120 yards deep respectively), West Hallam 2 (105 yards deep closing circa 1880) and West Hallam 3, which worked the hard coal, shallow seams. With the departure of Messrs Whitehouse from the site most of the upper (shallow) coal measures had been worked out. In 1888 Francis Nicholas Smith from Wingfield Park near Ripley commenced trading as the West Hallam Colliery Company. After the Ironworks had ceased production in 1881 several thousand tons of furnace slag were left on the site. This was later required for ballast and road building. A purpose built plant was erected for breaking up this material and the GNR laid a line and sidings to removed the processed material from the site. This process commenced in 1896, closing in 1915 by which time all evidence of the ironworks had disappeared. By 1930 all coal mining had ceased with all the shafts being sealed in 1941. Following this there was heavy demand for coal during the Second World War and the site was again reopened in 1943 as a coal disposal point. With opencast coal being processed from all the surrounding sites. This was finally closed in 1964, with the equipment and buildings being dismantled in 1986. Bringing an end to 200 years of coal mining related operations on this huge site. (4)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. pp 42-3.
*Internet Web Site: Wood, R. 2003. A brief history of the Shipley West Reclamation Site. http://healeyhero.co.uk/rescue/pits/shipley.htm.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 445 423 (1430m by 656m) (Multiple Site Centre)
WEST HALLAM, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 10 2015 9:01AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.