SK 462405 Oakwell, Reservoir. A reservoir fed from the Oakwell stream and by a pumped supply out of the shaft of Kirk Hallam Colliery, also supplemented by water from the Nutbrook to supply drinking water to the town. Superseded by the Meerbrook Sough supply from Holmesford Cottage under the Ilkeston & Heanor Water Board. Afterwards used for boating and sporting activities and now the haunt of fishermen. (1).
In addition to the reservoir, two filter beds and a short length of tramway are shown on the 2nd ed. 25" OS map of c. 1900. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 12.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet LI.1, 1900.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 461 405 (176m by 173m) (Centre)
ILKESTON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 16 2019 3:43PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.