Skip to main content

Listed Building record MDR5815 - Lace Factory, Heanor Road, Ilkeston

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

SK 464417 Heanor Road, Lace Factory. Four-storey brick building, built 1855, with central pediment and ornamental gritstone courses, at right angles to Heanor Road. Smaller, plainer, three-storey block beside road built 1865-1879. (1) In 1856 Bailey, Son & Company erected a factory, 100ft long by 34ft wide, four stories high, costing over £4,000, on the Heanor Road. It held more than 40 machines and the firm employed between 350 and 400 people. An extension was built in 1858, but two years later Bailey's business folded. By 1869 Hill & Swanwick, the Lenton lace makers, possessed this Heanor Road factory and it was run by one of the partners, William Hewitt. Hewitt died in 1889 and in 1892 26 Levers machines and the unexpired lease of the factory were put up for sale. Until 1908 it was occupied by the Nottingham lace manufacturers, Copestake, Lindsay, Crampton, and then purchased by George Beardsley. (2) Grade II listed building. Originally built as a lace and hosiery factory, it is now a plastics factory. Possibly built in the 1830s and 1855. It is built from red brick with gritstone dressings and quoins. It has a hipped tile roof and is four storeys high. The south elevation is of 5-3-5 bays, the centre three are advanced, with quoins and a dentilled pediment. There is a central rusticated round arched doorway with a keyblock and double doors. To the right there are two glazing bar sash windows under stone lintels, a doorway and three more glazing bar sashes. To the left there are six glazing bar sashes. The first floor has twelve glazing bar sashes under stone lintels and a doorway in the fourth opening from the left. Above this there is a continuous sill band. There are thirteen similar glazing bar sashes above and thirteen smaller casement windows and fixed lights. The rear elevation is of thirteen bays, with glazing bar sash windows under stone lintels and a continuous first floor sill band. The three storey range attached to west with a four bay elevation to the road is said to date from the 1830s. The 1855 factory was built for Bailey, Sons & Co, lace and hosiery manufacturers. (3) In 1865 the works was occupied by Hill, Swanwick & Co. and was later known as 'Hewitt's' after its manager. The smaller brick block is now unoccupied (2005). (4)

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s. pp 294-295.
  • <3> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number.
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2005. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: Gazetteer of Sites, Part II, Borough of Erewash (second edition). pp. 14-15.



Grid reference Centred SK 464 426 (100m by 100m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jan 26 2024 3:35PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.