SK 465434 Cotmanhay Road, Lace Factory. This single storey brick-built factory was built for F Beardsley & Co. Ltd., lace manufacturers, in 1897. It is believed to have suffered severe fire damage in 1934 resulting in the probability that the present structure is largely rebuilt. (1)
Frederick Beardsley, the third son of William, worked in the family lace concern until 1897, when he built his own factory where he made warp lace until 1971. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash.
Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s. p 294.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 465 433 (53m by 14m)
ILKESTON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 22 2010 3:36PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.