A two-storey brick building of c. 1910 adjoining Cotmanhay Road with 'Milanese Hosiery and Textile Co. Ltd', carved into the stone facing. More recently it was known as 'Mundy Mills, Precision Engineers', but it is now derelict and in August 1985 threatened with demolition. Behind, at right angles to the road, are several bays of typical single storey shed-type lace factory buildings with north light roofs. (1)
By 1881 three Noon brothers, born in Cotmanhay, were in the lace trade. About 1904 Park Works was built for Noon and Barton; between 1908 and 1914 the company was Noon Brothers, Levers lace makers. By 1916 lace was no longer made at Park Works. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 15.
Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s. p 294.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 464 432 (61m by 21m)
ILKESTON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 28 2011 3:49PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.