On Gladstone Street, Ilkeston, is a furnace, complete with chimney, formerly used by wheelwrights to heat tyres before fitting them to wheels. (1)
A wheelwright's forge, last used in 1942, stood in Gladstone Street until recently, although now only the oven with chimney remains, close to the boundary on the west side of Gladstone House Surgery. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 16.
Unpublished document: Stroud, G. 2003. Extensive Urban Survey: Ilkeston. Archaeological Assessment Report. p 16.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 465 414 (11m by 9m) (Approximate)
ILKESTON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 11 2014 5:14PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.