Building record MDR5833 - Rutland Mills, Market Street, Ilkeston
Type and Period (2)
- LACE FACTORY (Victorian to Late 20th Century - 1880 AD? to 1970 AD?)
- HOSIERY FACTORY (Victorian to Late 20th Century - 1880 AD? to 1970 AD?)
- None recorded
SK 466416 Market Street, Lace/Hosiery Factory. Substantial late 19th century three-storey brick-built hosiery factory on the east side of Market Street, erected for C & F Sudbury. The building has an ornate porticoed central doorway, an ornamented off-centre pediment and cast iron window frames. Possibly in multiple occupation during hosiery/lace-making days. The two-storey brick building at the rear which is at right angles to Market Street may be earlier. Now [in 1986] in the occupation of Rutland Garments, textile manufacturers. (1) During the 1880s a factory on Market Street was built by the Sudbury's, an Ilkeston family of lace manufacturers, for both lace and hosiery machines, part of it being rented to other makers. (2) A factory built for lace and hosiery manufacture. Built in the 1880s for Charles & Francis Sudbury, hosiery manufacturers. The factory is built of red brick beneath a slate roof. The principal building is three storeys tall and twelve bays long. The two centre bays are framed by pilasters and contain an elaborate doorcase. All windows have semi-circular heads. Francis Sudbury JP and his son Charles Sudbury JP were both mayors of Ilkeston. George Maltby JP, a relation by marriage, rented part of the factory for lace manufacture at the turn of the century. (3) Now in a variety of uses. (4) The late 19th century mill complex had consisted of two parallel ranges. One range, possible the main range, to the west fronted onto Market Street. An eastern range lay to the rear. It is not entirely clear whether the eastern range was contemporary with the western range, nor when it had been demolished, but it had certainly been levelled prior to an 2019 evaluation. The construction of the textile complex in the 1880s had been preceeded by a mid 19th century remodelling of the market place. As a result of the remodelling much of what was to become the textile complex was a cricket pitch in the grounds of a school. The cricket pitch was later incorporated into the grounds of the textile complex. (5-7)
- <1> SDR6754 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 16.
- <2> SDR18854 Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s. p 298.
- <3> SDR21473 *Internet Web Site: Erewash Borough Council. List of buildings of local interest. www.erewash.gov.uk. LL/595.
- <4> SDR22141 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2005. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: Gazetteer of Sites, Part II, Borough of Erewash (second edition). p. 16.
- <5> SDR24501 Unpublished document: Hurford, M. 2019. Rutland Mills, Market Street, Ilkeston, Derbyshire: Archaeological Evaluation and Watching Brief Report.
- <6> SDR24618 Unpublished document: Hurford, M. 2018. Rutland Mill, Market Street, Ilkeston: Building Recording.
- <7> SDR24619 Unpublished document: Hurford, M. 2019. Rutland Mills, Market Street, Ilkeston: Heritage Assessment.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 465 416 (66m by 88m) (Multiple Site Centre)|
|Civil Parish||ILKESTON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 10 2020 9:23PM