SK 467405 Little Hallam Lane, Hallam Mills. Lace factory built 1907. Single-storey office on street, typical single-storey brick factory behind. (1)
George Maltby built the single-storey factory in Little Hallam Lane in 1908. This factory, 60 yards long by 30 yards wide, housed a mixed plant of 18 Jardine, Spridgeon and Cooper's Levers machines, a blacksmith's forge, fitters' rooms, engine house, and the drawing and partners' offices. An adjoining building was later erected in which George's son, Christopher, worked two Saurer embroidery machines. George died in 1923 and his executors ran the company until 1928. (2)
A lace factory and offices, built in 1907. It was designed by Henry Tatham Sudbury for George Maltby JP. The factory is built of red brick beneath a natural slate roof. The factory offices address Little Hallam Lane; they are single storey. There are five windows set beneath flat arches and a stone pediment inscribed "Hallam Mills 1907". To the rear, the lace factory has a northlight roof and a battered square chimney. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash.
Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s. pp 296-297.
*Internet Web Site: Erewash Borough Council. List of buildings of local interest. www.erewash.gov.uk. LL/269.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 468 405 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)
ILKESTON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 3 2015 10:43AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.