Building record MDR5865 - Carnfield Hall, Carnfield Hill, South Normanton

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

Carnfield Hall lies 1 mile east of Alfreton. "Elizabethan stone mansion with Georgianized east front. The latter is of nine bays and two storeys, the three side bays on each side projecting somewhat. Central doorway with open segmental pediment. But Elizabethan twin gables appear above the projections to remind one of the real date of the house, which is impressively obvious at the back. Here the side parts project more, and one of them is continued as a lower range. The Windows are mullioned, and mullioned and transomed. Opposite the back a stable range apparently of the early 18th century. Inside, the staircase is original and one upper room with panelling. More Elizabethan woodwork was evidently brought from outside". (1) The east front of Carnfield Hall is built in roughly coursed stone with dressed stone quoins and detail to windows and doorway. The building is two-storied with attics; the roofs tiled and slated; the windows sashes. Blocked windows and differences in masonry show the east front to have been rebuilt and, as indicated by Authority 2, it is of Georgian date. The rear of the main block and the long south range are built in coursed stone and contain mullioned windows, some blocked. Two gables have simple stone copings. An Elizabethan dating can be accepted. The interior of the house was not seen. See GP AO/59/167/5 Carnfield Hall from the west, and GP AO/59/167/6 Carnfield Hall from the east. (2) No change. (3) Carnfield Hall is a Grade II* listed building of early 17th century date, possibly with earlier origins, refronted in the early 18th century and with later alterations. It was the seat of the Revel family. (4) The building was described in the 1970s as being in poor condition, affected by mining subsidence. (5) The Hall was surveyed by the Royal Commission in 1977. The earliest phase in the development of the house to be identified was a timber-framed building of 16th century date, although the remains are very fragmentary. In the first half of the 17th century the building was rebuilt in stone as an H-plan house of two and a half storeys in height. The rebuild appears to have been in progress by 1630 as in that year the owner of the estate, Edward Revell II, asked to be excused from the post of High Sheriff of Derbyshire on the grounds that "he hath not a convenient house in the shire, but is building one, which … will empty his purse'. The next major building phase was carried out around the turn of the 17th century, when the front (east) elevation was remodelled. This included refenestration, the re-siting of the entrance and the building of a parapet in place of the gables of the earlier 17th century house. The result was a symmetrical nine bay façade with two three bay wings flanking a three bay hall range. Map evidence suggests that this work was undertaken between 1693 and 1699. (6) 17th century house of two storeys with attics throughout and a large ground floor hall heated by a lateral fireplace in the west wall. In the late 17th century further alterations were carried out, the most significant being the 'modernisation' of the front façade. This remodelling located the doorway in a central position, and gave it flanking sash windows, also inserted into the southern and northern wings. The front was remodelled with a finely modelled surround doorway and moulded cornice to the central range parapet. These alterations were quite advanced for their time. Many of the interiors still survive, with staircases panelled rooms and decorative plasterwork. (7)

Sources/Archives (7)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. p 77.
  • <2> Personal Observation: F1 WW 09-JUL-59.
  • <3> Personal Observation: F2 FRH 27-JUL-66.
  • <4> Bibliographic reference: Department of the Environment. 1989. DOE Listed Buildings District of Bolsover.
  • <5> Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 2150. 2150.
  • <6> Unpublished document: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1977. Carnfield Hall, South Normanton, Derbyshire. (extract).
  • <7> Personal Observation: 1982. Carnfield Hall, South Normanton, Historical and architectural appraisal, 6th April, 1982.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 4254 5604 (40m by 25m) (Centre)
Civil Parish SOUTH NORMANTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

  • EDR921
  • EDR1431

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

May 28 2015 12:27PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.