Site record MDR5892 - Tramroad (route of) from Huthwaite Colliery (Notts) to Pinxton Wharf
Type and Period (1)
- TRAMWAY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Tramroad from Huthwaite Colliery to Pinxton Wharf. There are now no physical remains, although a hedgeline fossilises the route. (1) The route is shown as 'Railway' on Sanderson's map of 1835. (2) Much of the route is shown as an earthwork on the 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880. (3) In the 1830s Mr Mellors, who owned pits between Huthwaite and Blackwell, built a tramway through the fields to Pinxton Canal. This is shown on the Pinxton Tithe Map of 1838 and on the South Normanton Tithe Map of 1840. Its full extent is most clearly seen on George Sanderson's map of 'Twenty Miles Round Mansfield'. A narrow linear hollow marking the line of the cutting for the tramway was visible between two fields at c. SK 45835758 in 2002, prior to the development of Amber Park. The hollow was bounded by a slight bank in places and by a mature well-wooded hedge. No traces of structures or features belonging to the tramway were apparent. (4) A trench was dug across the route at c. SK 45815761 and a stony base for the railway [see SMR 12802] was identified. In addition a number of cross-profiles and a series of photographs were taken. (5)
- --- SDR24654 Unpublished document: Lawton, J. 2016. Land north of Talbot Street, Pinxton: Archaeological Geophysical Survey.
- <1> SDR11207 Index: NDAT. 2145. 2145.
- <2> SDR18634 Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
- <3> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheets XXVI.1, 5, 9 & 13.
- <4> SDR19541 Unpublished document: Challis, K & Brown, J (TPAU). 2002. Archaeological Desktop Assessment - Amber Park, South Normanton, Derbyshire.
- <5> SDR19542 Unpublished document: Sheppard, R (TPAU). 2004. An Archaeological Evaluation at Amber Park, South Normanton, Derbyshire, 2003.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 453 564 (1029m by 4603m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BLACKWELL, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||PINXTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||SOUTH NORMANTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 25 2022 4:06PM