Brookhill Hall is an L-shaped Jacobean house with mullioned and mullioned-and-transomed windows. The south front has been Georgianised. Late 19th century additions at the back form a courtyard. There are 18th century brick stables with a Gothic arch and clock tower. (1, 8)
Brookhill Hall, Pinxton, was originally built in the later 16th century by Sir Francis Coke of Trusley, who inherited its predecessor from his mother. The house consists of two parallel ranges joined by gables, one of which has been extended (in 1770) to five bays. There are two storeys at the front and three at the rear, where there is a blocked mullioned and transomed window remaining. Good stables were added in the 18th century. The last of the family to live there was the composer Roger Sacheverell Coke, although by the time of his death in 1973 the house was all but derelict. The building has since been restored. (2)
The house is depicted on a map of 1770 and is named as 'Bruck-well Hall' although the orientation of the map is unclear and adjacent fields and buildings shown are difficult to locate on a modern map. (3)
Historic maps show the Hall set in woods and parkland, with a fishpond immediately to the west of the hall and a walled garden to the north. Two further ponds are shown on the Maghole Brook to the east and south-east on Sanderson's map of 1835, although these had apparently gone by c.1880. (4-5) In the early 20th century an avenue of trees approximately 350m long was laid out running from the hall in an east-south-easterly direction. (6)
The grounds of Brookhill Hall have been included on a schedule of parks and gardens proposed by Derbyshire Historic Gardens Trust for inclusion on a list of sites of importance to the local area. (7)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'SK 45 NE PARISH OF PINXTON BROOKHILL LANE 13/132 (South Side) 8.7.66 Brookhill Hall GV II
House. Early C17, extended in early C18 and early C19, with late C19 alterations and porch dated 1898. Coursed squared stone, rubble and red brick, with ashlar dressings. Stone slate roofs to early C17 and C18 ranges, slates elsewhere, moulded stone copings to gables on moulded kneelers, stone gable end stacks, and stone ridge stacks to later addition. Two storeys with attics and basements, and three storeys. Five bay early C17 range with early C19 bay to left, three bayearly C18 range attached to rear on lefthand side and long five bay late C18 range attached to rear on righthand side. Main front, of coursed squared stone, has chamfered plinth to basement with five inserted small pane windows below metal lintels. Above five 12 pane sashes in moulded architraves with five similar windows over. Moulded cornice and ramped late C19 parapets with central and corner piers. Stone copings, end stacks. To left recessed single storey early C19 bay has blocked windows below flat stone arches to basement and ground floor, hipped roof over. Side elevation of this with three full height sashes below similar arches. Right return of main range has C17 blocked 5-light recessed and chamfered mullion and transomed first floor window and two single light C17 attic windows with dripmoulds. Red brick wing to rear formimg east front has three storeys and two gabled bays. To left is the large porch of 1898 with stone mullioned windows and four-centred arched doorcase with dated coat of arms over. To right three early C20 casements in plain surrounds, above similar windows below flat brick arches and above again four more similar windows below stone lintels. Dentilled eaves band between gables. Large stone ridge stacks. End gable wall with blocked 4-light recessed and chamfered mullion window to third floor. Beyond to north late C19 single storey service wing, which is matched by one to west. Rear elevation has 3 bay early C18 facade of rubble stone with quoins; two 2-light casements to ground floor below stepped band, three 18 pane sashes in plain surrounds above, two to right original, with another stepped band over and three uneven 9 pane sashes in plain surrounds to third storey. Early C18 hopper head to left inscribed 'WLC'. Moulded cornice, stone copings, moulded kneelers and left, end stack. Interior has early C19 cantilevered stone staircase with stick balusters and ramped handrail, C17 panelling to two front rooms, one with C18 fireplace, and early C18 panelling to first floor back bedroom. C18 fireplace with fluted keystone to bedroom above the porch. Originally the seat of the Coke family.
Listing NGR: SK4629356052.'