A manuscript records that on 20th September 1748 a large quantity of Roman coin was found in a boggy piece of ground near a watering place in the lower close of a farm called New Grounds near Green Hill Lane (the close adjoins Codnor Park). Two labourers were making a drain close to Codnor Park pale to take away the water from a watering-place. They found what they thought to be lumps of small pieces of slate at first but when they came to the pool a pot full of money, not 3" below the grass-roots was found. The 'lumps of slate' were also coins and together with the contents of the pot were shared between the three men and sold to local dealers. The lord of the manor and lady of the hundred claimed and bought some, and 7lbs weight of coins were sold to dealers. The find became publicly known on 30th Nov. 1748 and people flocking to the site searched for 7-10 days finding about 500 more coins. Roe told Reynolds, some years after, that he had sold 1500-1600 or more. One dealer showed Reynolds about 200 coins. Reynolds saw coins of Vespasian, Trajan, Hadrian, Antoninus Pius, Faustina, Commodus and Septimus Severus. He saw none later than Severus. Ten in Reynolds possession included all the above except Severus. (1)
Pegge (2) gives the date as 1740, hence his successors, from Lysons (3) onwards, have imagined two hoards, one found in 1740 and one found in 1748, but it is pretty plain that he merely put the date down incorrectly. The hoard mentioned in the minutes of the Society of Antiqaries, 9 Feb. 1748-9 (V.212), seems to be this (the number of coins is there given as 3000). Stukely in his Diary, 18th Oct. 1754 (Surtees Soc. 76 p.117), mentions 'silver coins lately found by Alfreton' among which 1 Faustina 1 Geta, 1 Gordian. It is not clear whether this is a separate hoard or the hoard of 1748. The small copse north of Codnor Park Reservoir occupies the site of 'the lower Close' in which the hoard was found. It completely answers the topographical description by the original source [Authy 1], and the Reservoir occupies the area described as Codnor Park Pales on a 17th century terrier of the district. (4) The copse occupies the bottom of a marshy valley. Nothing of significance was seen. (5)
Article in serial: Hurt, G. 1886. 'Roman coins in Derbyshire', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 8, pp 216-224. p 217.
Article in serial: Pegge, Reverend S. 1792. Archaeologia, Volume 10. Volume 10. p30.
Bibliographic reference: Lysons, D & Lysons, S. 1817. Magna Britannia, Volume 5: Derbyshire.
Personal Observation: F1 WW 27-JUL-59.
Personal Observation: F2 WW 28-JUL-59.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4296 5167 (10m by 10m) (Centre)
RIDDINGS, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 19 2015 3:51PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.