Building record MDR5900 - Butterley Hall, Ripley
Type and Period (1)
- COUNTRY HOUSE (Georgian to Victorian - 1790 AD to 1900 AD)
Butterley Hall was the capital mansion of the Horne family for some generations. William Horne died in 1747 at the supposed age of 102. The hall passed out of the family about 1790. (1) Butterley Hall was a manor and the property of Darley Abbey. There was undoubtedly a medieval house on the site, but the present structure was built in the mid-18th century by a member of the Horne family. The name Butterley Hall is retained. The building is now used as the head office of the Butterley Company. It is almost entirely modern. (2) Butterley Hall is a stone-built Georgian building with modern additions to the north and east. No trace of a medieval house was seen. (3) No change. (4) Butterley Hall, now police headquarters. It is late 18th century with mid 19th century additions and is a grade II listed building. (5) Butterley Hall is a most interesting and not unattractive house built or possibly rebuilt 1793-1800 on the site of a much earlier residence. It is of stone and brick and has a slate roof. The previous house and estate were leased to and later acquired by Edmund Horne (d. 1673), son of William of West Hallam who is said to have built the previous house, but in 1769 it was described as "a modern-built house" which suggests that the coal enriched Hornes must have replaced any earlier dwelling in the 20 or so years prior to that date. In 1790 the house was sold to Benjamin Outram, founder of the Butterley Company. In 1969 it was purchased by the County Police Authority. (6)
- <1> SDR6942 Bibliographic reference: Glover, S. 1833. History, Gazetteer and Directory of the County of Derby. p200.
- <2> SDR6517 Personal Observation: F1 WW 27-JUL-59.
- <3> SDR6649 Personal Observation: F2 WW 28-JUL-59.
- <4> SDR6663 Personal Observation: F3 FRH 27-JUL-66.
- <5> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1109013.
- <6> SDR19744 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 2001. The Derbyshire Country House: 2. p 260.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4057 5125 (23m by 49m) Centre|
|Civil Parish||RIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 14 2022 9:24AM