Monument record MDR5921 - Codnor Park canal wharf, Codnor
Type and Period (3)
- CANAL WHARF (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PLATEWAY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CANAL BASIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
In order to transport coal and ironstone mined in Codnor Park to the Cromford Canal, the firm of Benjamin Outram & Co. built several short railways, one of which ran from pits in the north-east corner of the Codnor Park estate to what became known as Codnor Park Wharf. Both wharf and railway were operating by 1805, handling coal destined for downgate sale as far south as Leicestershire. They continued in use until 1847, when the Erewash Valley branch of the Midland Railway was built, cutting through the tramroad a short distance to the west of the wharf on an embankment. Today (1973) the site of the wharf is still clearly visible, although the main line of the canal at this point has been completely obliterated. There were at one time two sidecuts, each served by a spur of railway. The more northerly has disappeared without trace but the other remains as a heavily overgrown stagnant pond. On the southern side of the basin a double line of stone sleeper blocks lying in situ has recently been uncovered. Two pieces of cast iron plate rail have also recently been found at the wharf, both to the north of the surviving sidecut. The rails appear to be the first yet noted from a railway belonging to The Butterley Co. and this archaeological evidence provides information on the gauge and on the pattern and length of rail in use on the network. (1) Sanderson's map of 1835 shows the wharf served by two basins extending from the western side of the canal and two railways approaching from coalpits to the northwest and southwest of the wharf. A number of buildings are also depicted. (2) The site is marked as 'Codnorpark Wharf' on the OS map of 1898, but one of the canal basins is shown with marshland symbols, implying that it had silted up by that time. (3) A line of pad stones still in situ can be seen running alongside the northern Codnor Park basin. Buildings on site are either destroyed or buried under rail sidings. (4)
- <1> SDR13545 Article in serial: Riden, P J. 1973. 'Plate rails at Codnor Park', Industrial Archaeology. Vol. 10 (1), pp 77-82.
- <2> SDR18634 Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XLI.9, 1898.
- <4> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Canal wharf, Codnor Park.
- <5> SDR23101 Cartographic materials: 2010. Compilation of map extracts and plans of tramway features in Codnor Park.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4451 5015 (165m by 188m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ALDERCAR AND LANGLEY MILL, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 17 2015 10:23AM