Pinxton Wharf: The eastern terminus of the Pinxton Canal, a residual stretch of water shortly to disappear [in the 1970s]. The site of the original Pinxton colliery lies immediately to the north of the wharf, together with the site of Coke's lime kilns but both have now disappeared under a colliery dump from Pye Hill Colliery. Tram roads from several directions (Huthwaite, Birchwood and the Mansfield-Pinxton railway), as well as tramroads from the pits in the parish, converged on the wharf (see the Pinxton Tithe map and F Smith's reconstructed map of Pinxton circa 1800 in the Derbyshire Record Office and the Coke family papers at Derby Borough Library). The former Pinxton Pottery [SMR 11907] was sited adjacent to the eastern end of the wharf. (1)
Canal Wharf. The restored canal basin and small restored stretch of canal are now the only reminder of Pinxton's role as a major early focus of the coal industry. The Pinxton arm of the Cromford Canal was completed in 1794; it is now completely severed at Ironville. The GNR Pinxton railway terminus formerly adjacent to the wharf and the extensive complex of collieries and coke ovens have now disappeared without trace. (2)
Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Pinxton Wharf (1970).
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 2000. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. Part V. North East Derbyshire. p 9.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 452 542 (362m by 256m) (Multiple Site Centre)
PINXTON, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 22 2016 10:40AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.