Skip to main content

Monument record MDR5925 - Tramway/mineral railway (route of), Pinxton

Type and Period (2)

  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Route of tramway shown on 19th century maps running between Pinxton Wharf and various collieries to the east and north-east. Sanderson's map of 1835 shows the route running east from Pinxton Wharf along the north side of the River Erewash and then turning north to a colliery at SK 464 552 [SMR 11913] and to a pit at SK 462 556 [SMR 11914]. (1) The northernmost section of the tramway had disappeared by the 1880s. However, the tramway continued to run to the colliery at SK 464 552. A branch had also been added to run further east, to Langton Colliery in Nottinghamshire. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).



Grid reference Centred SK 461 550 (1315m by 1226m) (Centre)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

May 8 2017 10:44AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.