Building record MDR5940 - All Saints Church, Church Lane, Heath
Type and Period (1)
- ANGLICAN CHURCH (Victorian - 1853 AD to 1853 AD)
All Saints Church, Heath. 1853, by Stevens, built on a new site in the village to replace the church demolished in 1852 (see SMR 7701). The church was restored in 1882-6 by Butterfield, who added the screen. (1) The church is built from coursed squared rock-faced sandstone with sandstone dressings, it has Welsh slate roofs with stone coped gables. There is a steeple on the western end, a nave with a porch to the south and chancel with north vestry. In the porch are two C11 or C12 coffin slabs, one rectangular with incised motifs, the other tapering to the base, with a cross and figure. (2) According to White's Directory, the current church in Heath was erected and consecrated in 1853. It is a small, handsome stone building, dedicated to All Saints, and has a tower, surmounted by a fine spire and three bells. It accommodated about 150, of which 80 sittings are free. The cost of the building was about £1,350, raised by subscription, towards which the Duke of Devonshire gave £400 and the site; and a grant of £50 was obtained from the Church Building Society. In the east end of the church is handsome stained window representing Christ’s resurrection and ascension. (3) According to Bulmer's Directory, the present church in Heath was erected at a cost of £1,800, of which £700, together with the site was given by the Duke of Devonshire. It is a handsome structure, dedicated to All Saints, and consists of chancel, nave, and western tower with spire, containing five bells, three of which were in the old church. (4) The parish church was given to the Abbey of Croxton in 1162 and it was probably built not long before, as no mention of it appears in the Domesday Book. The whole church, save only the porch, was demolished in 1852. The original porch still stands in the churchyard and material from the original building was used for a small chapel nearby. The current church is of a 19th century, decorated style. (5)
- <1> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 244.
- <2> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
- <3> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 754.
- <4> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 88.
- <5> SDR20951 Bibliographic reference: I A H Combes. 2004. Anglican Churches of Derbyshire. p 100 illus..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 448 670 (27m by 14m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HEATH AND HOLMEWOOD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 14 2017 11:27AM