The old church of Heath, otherwise Lowne or Lund, was taken down in 1853; however, two stones were taken to the new church and positioned in the porch. One is a carved crucifix. This appears to be of 13th century date and is of rude form. The deep carving would no doubt have been positioned above the chancel arch, or in a similar prominent position. It has been exposed to weathering but in its original form would probably have been painted in deep, rich colours. The second stone is an incomplete grave slab of the mid to late 13th century. Down the centre is a basal fragment of a floreat cross with smaller circular ornamental crosses midway. (1)
Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 3091. 3091. NDAR index includes a letter of 1978 to the then vicar at Heath.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 448 670 (point) (Multiple Site Centre)
HEATH AND HOLMEWOOD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 14 2017 11:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.