Monument record MDR5943 - Manor House (site of), Temple Normanton
Type and Period (2)
- MANOR HOUSE ? (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (Stuart to Victorian - 1700 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
The manor of Temple Normanton is first mentioned in 1185. It was held by the Order of the Knights Templars in the 13th century and then given to the Knights Hospitallers in 1323. In 1563 it was granted to the Shrewsbury Family. There are detailed manorial court-rolls for the period 1447-1518 in Derby Library. (1-4) The former Manor House farm has become derelict in recent years and is mainly in ruins. Local opinion supported the identification of this as the site of the medieval manor house. However, existing remains appear to be of 18th/19th century date, of brick and stone. No evidence of a medieval house was seen. (5) No evidence could be found to substantiate the former presence of a Preceptory or Camera of the Knights Templars in this region. (6)
- <1> SDR11016 Index: NDAT. 1871. 1871.
- <2> SDR7856 Article in serial: Oakley, R. 1958. 'Temple Normanton Court Rolls 1447-1518', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 78, pp 40-88.
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p106.
- <4> SDR11673 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1875. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. I.
- <5> SDR6516 Personal Observation: F1 WW 27-APR-60.
- <6> SDR6558 Personal Observation: F2 FDC 03-MAY-60.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4177 6739 (48m by 49m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||TEMPLE NORMANTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 14 2017 11:27AM