(Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
SK4746 6822 CHAPEL [GT] (site of). Area centred SK 4744 6821. Chapel Yard. [T1] (1)
'Of the ancient chapel at Palterton not a trace remains. There is hardly any historical mention of its existence, beyond the fact that it was given by Hubert Fitzralph to the abbey of Darley. Dr Pegge, however, says that it was dedicated to St Leonard'. (2)
Darley Abbey, Derby, was founded in c.1137 or c.1146 and dissolved in 1538. (3)
There are references to a chapel at Elm Tree Farm on 18th century title deeds in the farm occupant's possession. Recently, in making an extension to the present farm building on the west, fragments of a stone arch and window tracery were found. The farm building, shown on the OS 6" and 25" as occupying the site of the chapel, has been extensively rebuilt in recent years, but its west wall contains re-used stone. No extant remains of the chapel were seen. The area shown as Chapel Yard on the OS 25" has been recently ploughed. The soil contains much modern domestic refuse and broken stone. The south and west sides of the area are bounded by a deeply-sunken road. The thin layer of soil covers a sandy limestone. It is possible that the chapel stood in this area and that the precise OS siting has been derived from reused material in the farm building and the use of the latter building for religious services in modern times. No further information was gained - the incumbent at Scarcliffe knew nothing of the chapel. (4) No change. (5)
The modern OS 1:10000 map marks 'Chapel (site of' and there are references to a chapel here in the farm deeds. According to documentary evidence a chapel at Palterton was given to Darley Abbey by Hubert Fitzralph. It has been suggested from study of the Abbey's Cartulary that it was founded in the first half of the 12th century as a chantry chapel dedicated to St Giles, patron saint of beggars and lepers. The chapel would have had a conspicuous position on the ridge. Within living memory, religious services and other public functions have been held in the large stone barn forming the west range of the farmyard. Superficial examination of farm buildings in 2000 failed to identify any moulded stonework. (6)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). Sheet XXVI.14, 1918.
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1875. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. I. p 327.
Bibliographic reference: Knowles, D & Hadcock, R. 1953. Medieval Religious Houses of England and Wales. p 135.
Personal Observation: F1 WW 16-NOV-59.
Personal Observation: F3 JB 09-JUN-66.
Unpublished document: Sumpter, T. 2000. Elm Tree Farm, Palterton, Derbyshire: Archaeological Assessment.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4744 6821 (37m by 47m) (Centre)
SCARCLIFFE, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 6 2021 9:54AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.