Skip to main content

Monument record MDR595 - Waterside Mills (site of), Waterside, Hadfield

Type and Period (4)

  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1777 AD to 1895 AD)
  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1898 AD)
  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1898 AD)
  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1849 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Early 19th century gritstone mill buildings, some with cast iron window frames. Much demolition has taken place in recent years as the site has been developed as the Hadfield Industrial Estate. The extensive cotton spinning mills of the Sidebottom family, later Garside & Co. (1) The 2nd ed. OS map of 1898 shows extensive mill buildings, a mill pond to the south-west and two mill ponds to the east of Waterside, together with four rows of terraced housing along Mill Street (now gone) and Waterside. Comparison with modern maps shows that the terraced housing has been demolished and the mill ponds filled in. (2) Waterside Mills built in 1777 by John Turner and John Thornley for cotton spinning and weaving, was originally named Brookside Mill, and was to eventually become the largest group of mills in the district. By 1828 Waterside had changed ownership and was owned by John and William Sidebottom. The mill, occupied by buildings alone, was 8 acres, and most of the mill buildings were five storeys high, employing 835 mill hands. A weir had been constructed across the whole width of the river Etherow with large sluices for the diversion of water to a goit, leading to a large waterwheel which powered the mill machinery. Waterside Mill also possessed an auxiliary water supply from Padfield Brook. Later, with the advent of steam power, the waterwheel was replaced by large turbines with steam raising and condensing facilities. In 1868, a fire of considerable magnitude occurred but, although it slowed down production, the mill continued working. By 1890, the mill employed over 2,000 employees, working 3,200 looms. On the death of James Sidebottom in 1895, all work ceased, through lack of business, and the mill was closed down. In 1916, a disused part of Waterside was taken over by Greenfield Mill Company Ltd, who described themselves as bleachers. During the First World war, part of the remaining mill building was used as a munitions factory, making gun cotton and other similar materials for armament purposes. The description of the premises as 'bleachers' was probably for security reasons. During the mill's history it had manufactured rayon, crepe di chine, fancy figured cloths, piques, poplins, pyjama cloths, rayon fabrics, shirtings, spun rayon and even typewriter cloth. There were 1,000 people employed at the mill during 1926, by 1953 this was down to 700 employees. In 1940 parts of Waterside Mill were taken over by Maconochie's Foodstuffs Ltd, who manufactured tinned and bottled foodstuffs. Demolition of the mills happened over a period of time, between 1941 and 1976. The site was eventually developed and named the Hadfield Trading Estate. (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1984. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part I. Borough of High Peak. p 19.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet II.7, 1898.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Quayle, T. 2006. The Cotton Industry in Longdendale and Glossopdale. p 105-9, illus p 106-8.



Grid reference Centred SK 019 966 (352m by 217m) (Approximate)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Apr 12 2018 11:36AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.