[SK 4522 6710] CHURCH [GT] (Remains of) Mortuary Chapel (Disused) (1)
The parish church of Heath, alias Lowne or Lund, dedicated like its successor in honour of All Saints, was pulled down, with the exception of the porch, in 1852, when the new church was built in the village (see SMR 7706). The church was given to the Abbey of Croxton in 1162. It is not mentioned in Domesday. The porch still stands in its original position and a small adjunct, which is used as a mortuary chapel, erected out of the old material. The pointed arch of the porch entrance is of the Decorated style, but the materials of the porch are of a conglomerate character and were perhaps put together in the Perpendicular period, when the nave was re-modelled. Two sketches of the old church are in the possession of the Rev. H. Cottingham, Vicar of Heath and Ault Hucknall. They show early 14th c. Decorated and Perpendicular features. The tower was probably rebuilt some fifty years before its final demolition. An incised slab built into the west wall of the chapel, and another in the wall of the porch carved with the crucifixion, are remnants of Norman work. The stones of the sides and jambs of the inner doorway have the Norman chevron moulding, but were not originally carved for their present position. (2)
The porch and mortuary chapel are now derelict. The porch has no roof and its walls and arch have been partially demolished - mainly by vandalism. The chapel retains its roof but is becoming a ruin. An 18th c. mural tablet survives inside the chapel but the Norman incised stones have been removed from the walling - the incumbent does not know their present whereabouts. The jambs of the chapel door are formed from reused stones with chevron moulding and there is a reused three-light window in the north wall. See GP: AO/59/368/7 - Rems. Of church from the south. The 25" AM survey has been corrected. (4)
No change. (5)
Heath Old Church ruins. Roofed chancel and some ruinous adjoining parts of 12th century and later date. The 15th century roof to the chancel is of unusual tiebeam form, Grade 2. (6)
Ruins of Heath Old Church. Fragmentary ruins of church 12th century and later, of indeterminate date. Grade II. (7)
11th or 12th century coffin slabs from this church can be seen in the porch of All Saints church. (8)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1914-38. OS 6".
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1875. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. I. p253-8.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4523 6710 (3m by 9m) (Centre)
HEATH AND HOLMEWOOD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 14 2017 11:28AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.