Monument record MDR5951 - Lowne, Lune, Lund or Lunt depopulated medieval village (site of), Heath
Type and Period (1)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
[Area centred SK 4520 6710] At the site of the old church at Heath (SMR 7701) was the village of LOWNE or LUND and it was not until the cultivation of the moorland or heath commenced that the houses gradually climbed to the top of the hill and took the present name. The old church must have stood in solitary state long before its demolition in 1852. The village was called LUNE in Domesday; LOWNE and HEATH were distinct places in the 16th century. (1) No evidence of a depopulated medieval village was seen in the arable fields surrounding the old churchyard. (2) The earlier name of Heath is Lunt or Lund. As indicated in Domesday Book there were two settlements of the same name close together and their positions are given, as fields, one just west of the modern village [SK 46 NW] and the other to the east, where the remains of the old church are marked on the O.S. 6" [SK 46 NE 2]. [A.P.s negative]. The major portion of the area is now occupied by motorway construction, there is no trace of desertion in the workings. (3) Possible humps and bumps north of the old church could be the site of the deserted medieval village. (4, 5)
- <1> SDR332 Article in serial: Nichols, J. 1804. History and Antiquities of Leicestershire. Volume 3 Part 2. p151.
- <2> SDR6521 Personal Observation: F1 WW 30-NOV-59.
- <3> SDR6561 Personal Observation: F2 FDC 05-SEP-66.
- <4> SDR10997 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust: 1233. 1233.
- <5> SDR11320 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust: 2680. 2680.
- <6> SDR11673 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1875. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. I. p254.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 451 671 (234m by 112m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HEATH AND HOLMEWOOD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 14 2017 11:28AM