Monument record MDR5954 - Medieval chapel (site of), Glapwell Lane, Glapwell
Type and Period (1)
- CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- None recorded
'Site of Chapel' is marked on the 1st edition OS map at this location. (1) There are no traces remaining of an ancient chapel at Glapwell. The Chartulary of Darley Abbey records an agreement made about 1260, between the Abbot and the inhabitants of Glapwell about roofing the chapel. They agreed to give five acres of land, as an endowment, to keep it in repair. It probably fell into disuse and was demolished at the Reformation, for no mention is made of it by the Commissioners of 1650. (2) In 1440 the Abbot of Darley petitioned the Bishop of Lichfield that the fruits and proventions of the chapels of Glapwell and Whaley may be united to the vicarage of the parish church of Bolsover as the proceeds were so small that they did not suffice for the sustenance of the chaplains. A decision was made in favour of the application, as the chapels were not far distant from the church and the road there was level and in fair condition at all seasons. (3) Nothing of significance was seen at the OS published site. It falls at the side of a Council playing field and is partly occupied by a large social-centre/pavilion . No knowledge of the site was found. (4)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR11673 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1875. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. I. p 105.
- <3> SDR11672 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1879. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol IV. p 451.
- <4> SDR6509 Bibliographic reference: F1 WW 20-NOV-59.
- <5> SDR6613 Personal Observation: F2 JB 09-JUN-66.
- <6> SDR10992 Index: NDAT. 0957. 0957.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4796 6624 (16m by 17m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||GLAPWELL, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2017 4:34PM