Glapewelle, at the time of the Domesday Survey, was held with Bolsover. In the 13th century it belonged to a family named Glapwell. William Wodhouse died in 1411, seized of the manor, and it remained with this family till the latter part of the 17th century. The Hall, an ancient mansion, is now in the charge of a caretaker. (1)
Glapwell Hall was demolished, c.1951, by the National Coal Board as it was in an extremely dilapidated state. It was a stone building, mainly modern but with some 17th century features. (2)
The site of the Hall falls at the edge of a Council playing field. A few fragments of stone and brick foundations can be seen in the disturbed ground. The 18/19th century outbuildings on the north survive as garages and offices. (3)
No change. (4)
Glapwell Hall was built of ashlar and coursed rubble (stuccoed) of Permian Magnesian Limestone from an adjacent outcrop, with a stone slate roof. The main façade had 3 straight coped gables and 6 bays of late 17th century appearance, with a Victorian addition behind and at right angles terminating in a 2-storey canted bay with round-headed sashed windows and a hipped roof. The estate passed from the Glapwells of Glapwell to the Woodhouse family early in the 15th century. It passed from them by marriage to Samuel Hallowes of Dethick (a notorious local delator in the civil war) who probably built the house. The alterations were probably made by Rev. Brabazon Hallowes (1819-1892). A Gorell Barnes lived there in 1910. The house lay derelict for some time before being demolished in the 1950s. (5)
As part of a wider programme of trial trenching in the area around the site of Glapwell Hall, trenches located in the south-west corner of a storage yard found well-preserved strucural remains of the north wing of the Hall beneath modern levelling and demolition layers. The full width of the wing was uncovered, with evidence of internal partitioning, a west entrance and a possible driveway outside the east wall. Although the outer stone walling might be earlier, the internal brickwork suggests a likely building date in the late 17th century.
Former stone garden building with brick façade still visible. Derelict and isolated by farmland. Urgent works carried out. Proposals for new use to be formulated. (6)
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 218-9.
Personal Observation: F1 WW 16-NOV-59.
Personal Observation: F3 JB 09-JUN-66.
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1982. The Derbyshire Country House, Volume I. p 36, illust..
Unpublished document: Bolsover District Council. 2008. Bolsover District Council Historic Environment Scheme 2008-2012.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4796 6628 (57m by 116m) (Approximate)
GLAPWELL, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 6 2021 12:56PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.