Monument record MDR5962 - Chapel (site of), Rowthorne
Type and Period (1)
(Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
Loading documents & images
SK 48006517. In 1969 human skeletal remains were found at Rowthorne Lane, Ault Hucknall, during the laying of a sewer pipe trench. H C Lane reports that the bones are thought to represent adult males. There were no associated finds. Extension of the trench to the south resulted in the finding of further skeletal remains by Lane and a wall fragment of glazed pottery thought to be no later than 17th century. The tithe apportionment roll of 1839 names one parcel of land (no. 718) Chapel Yard. It seems that the chapel of Rowthorne, recorded in the Valor Ecclesiasticus of 1535 was located hereabouts, although Cox states that "there does not now appear to be even a tradition of its former existence." (1, 2, 3)
Article in serial: 1969. 'Notes and News: Burials at Rowthorne, Glapwell', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 89. pp 125-6.
Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. II. p 473.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4802 6515 (114m by 135m) (Centre)
AULT HUCKNALL, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 12 2017 4:34PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.