Monument record MDR6044 - Medieval wayside cross, North Wingfield
Type and Period (2)
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DIRECTION STONE (Stuart to Georgian - 1700 AD to 1750 AD)
The cross at North Wingfield, of which the base and a short piece of the shaft remain, was used in the 18th century as a guide stone at a three-road junction. It is now approximately on its original site. The base shows 'Derby Rode, Chesterfield Road, Mansfield'. Above 'Mansfield' the road surveyor of the time cut his name: 'by Captin Fire Brass.' (1) The remains of this cross comprise a socket stone with a stump of the shaft placed upon a modern base of three steps and surrounded by iron railings in an area of grass at this, now, minor road junction. The socket stone is 0.6 m square ad 0.4 m. high, with a moulded edge and smaller raised top in which is inserted a weathered fragment of shaft, 0.2 m. by 0.25 m. and 0.2 m. high. On the north face of the socket stone is inscribed, 'CHESTERFIELD RODE' and a derection hand; on the outer, west face is, 'DARBY RODE' and a hand; on the south face is 'BY CAPTIN FIRE BRASS MANSFIELD' and a hand. The outer faces of the two uppermost steps are inscribed 'This ancient stone, here preserved, is the base and part of the shaft of the Mediaeval village cross. The words cut upon it show that it was utilized as a guide-post after such were ordered to be set up at crossways in the year 1702. Restored by W. A. Taylor, Esq., 'St. Laurence', of this parish, AD. 1932.' No information as to the exact original site was gained. It appears to have been a wayside cross. (2) Old cross. Cross and base, medieval and 1932. Grade II. (4)
- <1> SDR7492 Article in serial: Tudor, T. 1934. 'Minor monuments and lesser antiquities of Derbyshire, 1934', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 55, pp 64-76. p. 72.
- <2> SDR6473 Personal Observation: F1 WW 01-DEC-59.
- <3> SDR6613 Personal Observation: F2 JB 09-JUN-66.
- <4> SDR5195 Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Dist of NE Derbyshire Derby 29 Aug 1984 11.
- <5> SDR11038 Index: NDAT. 1605. 1605.
- <6> SDR19355 Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey.
|Grid reference||SK 4094 6488 (point) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH WINGFIELD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 11 2018 2:25PM