Building record MDR6047 - St Lawrence's Church, North Wingfield
Type and Period (2)
- CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- SCRATCH DIAL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
St. Lawrence's Church. The north transept has a Norman east window, chancel and north vestry are 14th century and the body of the church was embattled in the 15th century. The west tower is Perpendicular, also the aisle windows and the south porch, which has a pointed tunnel-vault with transverse arches. (c.f. Ault Hucknall). Font is 1662. South aisle was rebuilt in 1860, north aisle heavily restored 1872, and the clerestory windows are 1872. (1) Of the church at North Winfield at the time of the Domesday Survey, nothing remains, unless it is the discarded font and an incised stone. Bacon's Liber Regis gives the dedication as St. Lawrence, but the foundation deed of the chantry [SK 46 SW 4] makes mention of the church as dedicated in honour of St. Helen. The early font and base is of one block of coarse gritstone. (2) During the 19th century restorations to St. Lawrence's Church a leper's window and hagioscope were opened out to view. A font, believed to be Saxon, stands at the west end of the north aisle. On the north side of the chancel is a chapel, now called St. Mary's Vestry, long used as a parish school. (3) Illustrated description of monuments. Illustration of the c. 1200 open arch in the wall dividing the north aisle from the Lady Chapel, now the vestry and organ-chamber. (4) A grade I listed church dating to the 12th, 14th, 15th and 19th centuries. It is built of coursed squared sandstone and sandstone ashlar, and has copper roofs. It comprises west tower, nave with aisles and south porch, chancel, north transept and vestry. It has a 15th century west tower of four stages, divided by stringcourses. It has angle buttresses, and a west door with a three-light window above. There is a clockface to the north and south and pairs of two-light bell-openings to each face. It has a frieze of shields and tracery motifs and battlements. The embattled nave, chancel and aisles have two and three-light windows to the north and south sides under flat arches, the nave windows with cusping. The east window has reticulated tracery. The vestry window is 14th century in date with an unusual tracery pattern of encircled trefoils. The gabled south porch has a broad ogee-arched doorway and gableted pinnacles with niches. Inside is a pointed tunnel vault with transverse arches, and it has a studded oak plank door. The south aisle was rebuilt in 1860, the north aisle and the clerestory were restored in 1872 by S Rollinson, and there was a general restoration by R H Carpenter & Ingleow in 1878-80. Set in the south wall of the chancel, there is a 14th century effigy of a knight within an ogee-arched recess. Inside, there is a 12th century window between the north transept and the vestry. It is large, with a nailhead around the arch and up the jambs and curious elongated volutes to the capitals. The font at the east end of the south aisle is Norman, large and circular, with fluting to the lower parts. The font at the west end of the south aisle is octagonal with curved sides and is dated 1662. There are three 14th century reliefs within the church. A tomb recess on the north side of the chancel has a 13th century effigy of a knight. The nave roof has 15th century moulded tie beams. See list description for more details. (7) There is a scratch-dial on the easternmost buttress of the south side of the chancel. (8) A bell in St Lawrence's is of historical significance. The bell dates to circa 1450 and was made by a London foundary. (10)
- <1> SDR190 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1953. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, 1st edition. pp 194-5.
- <2> SDR11673 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1875. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. I. p 422, 43.
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 94.
- <4> SDR7898 Article in serial: Stevenson, W. 1918. 'Some notes on North Wingfield Church', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 40, pp 193-201.
- <5> SDR6473 Personal Observation: F1 WW 01-DEC-59.
- <6> SDR6613 Personal Observation: F2 JB 09-JUN-66.
- <7> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
- <8> SDR6704 Article in serial: Fisher, F. 1935. 'Derbyshire Scratch Dials', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 56, pp 31-43.
- <9> SDR11037 Index: NDAT. 1604. 1604.
- <10> SDR23468 Unpublished document: Church of England. 2007. Identification of bells and bell frames of historic significance.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4045 6446 (35m by 21m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||NORTH WINGFIELD, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 11 2018 2:25PM