SK 40906313 Park House, Iron Smelting. In 1867 the Clay Cross Coal and Iron Company began sinking shafts at what is known as Park House Colliery. On proceeding to sink the main shaft, quite near the edge of a minor escarpment, thick foundations were met with and passed through, as well as the roughly flagged pavement of what appeared to be a cellar floor. Below these features was a 'stratum of black slags', interpreted as being the result of early, ie pre-Conquest, iron smelting. (1)
There was a blast furnace some 400m to the north of this site and this is suggested to have been the source of slag encountered during the building of Park House Colliery in 1867. (3)
Article in serial: Griffin, G. 1918. 'The home of the Deincourts', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Vol. 40, pp 202-206, plan.
Bibliographic reference: Riden, P. 1985. A Gazetteer of Charcoal Blast Furnace Sites in Great Britain in use since 1660.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 4090 6313 (point) (Centre)
PILSLEY, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 4 2014 10:47AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.