Skip to main content

Monument record MDR606 - Bridge Mill (site of), River Etherow, Tintwistle

Type and Period (1)

  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1849 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

Remains of an early 19th century cotton mill on the River Etherow. Now occupied by a modern factory, Vulcanised Fibre. (1) The 2nd edition OS map of 1898 shows mill buildings marked 'Bridge Mill (Cotton)' on either side of the river, served by railway sidings. On the southern side of the river, it is difficult to distinguish Bridge Mill buildings from those of Waterside Mill (SMR 6144). (2) Bridge Mill, originally a mill complex of considerable size covering an area of land from buildings alone of 8 acres, was owned by the Sidebottom family. Built in 1854 for cotton spinning and weaving, the mill was owned by Tom Harrop and James Sidebottom, and formally worked in connection with Waterside Mills [SMR 6144]. By 1899 Bridge Mill employed more than 1,000 workers. Bridge Mills extracted water from Padfield Brook. An auxiliary supply of water for condensing and steam raising was supplied from a pond on the north side of the mills. With the death of James in 1895, the mill changed ownership in 1897, to become Tom Harrop Sidebottom & Company Ltd. Tragedy struck the mill two years later, on Monday 5 June 1899 a great fire broke out on the top floor of the mill. The damaged caused amounted to approximately to £45,000. By the end of the year all work had ceased. In 1909 the mill was bought by the British Vulcanised Fibre Company Ltd. for manufacturing fibre board sheets and cylinders. They occupied part of the old weaving section of the mill, which had been built in 1886. British Vulcanised Fibre Company Ltd. still occupied the mills in 1953 having built additional sheds to replace those lost in the fire. (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1984. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part I. Borough of High Peak. p 29.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). II.3, II.7, 1898.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Quayle, T. 2006. The Cotton Industry in Longdendale and Glossopdale. p 102-4, illus p 102-4.



Grid reference Centred SK 019 969 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR3566

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 22 2017 4:53PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.