Skip to main content

Building record MDR6113 - Icehouse, Hardwick Park

Type and Period (1)

  • (Victorian - 1858 AD to 1858 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

An ice house is set in the dam between two of the Row Ponds and is covered by an earth mound. The top of the entry can be seen and has a sandstone lintel and brick surround. It may have been constructed in the 18th or 19th century. No excavations or surveys have been carried out [as of 1985]. The ice house appears to be in good condition. The entrance is closed with boards and partly filled with soil. (1) An icehouse was added to the Row Ponds in Hardwick Park in 1858. (2) The icehouse was constructed of brick with an earth cover. A survey of icehouses carried out some time before 1988 considered it to be in poor condition, with a blocked entrance. (3) The ice house is situated between two of the Row Ponds in the Lower Park. The ponds are amongst the earliest features within this area of the park, being in existence by 1570 and quite possibly originating as medieval fish ponds. The ice house was constructed on the dam between the second and third ponds in 1858, and repaired in 1867. It is predominately of brick construction, with some stonework, and was built in the 'cup and dome' style design. It is not known when the Hardwick ice house ceased to function, but the entrance was bricked-up in the mid 20th century, when the upper levels of the entrance tunnel were demolished, and the remainder infilled with earth and rubble. In 2016, the National Trust embarked upon a scheme of restoration of the ice house, to reinstate it to its original form. A watching brief was carried out during the restoration works. The central chamber of the ice house was found to be in good condition, but the roof of the passageway was partially collapsed. The walls of the passageway had also partially collapsed, with many of the top courses missing. Once the features were exposed and cleaned, detailed recording took place before restoration work began. (4)

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Smith, L & Beamish, H (The National Trust). 1985. The National Trust Archaeological Survey: Hardwick Hall, Derbyshire, East Midlands. Site 60,029, p 15.
  • <2> Unpublished document: Chris Burnett Associates. 1997. The History of Hardwick Park and Outline Restoration Strategy.
  • <3> Unpublished document: Perkins, R. mid 1980s. Derbyshire Icehouses.
  • <4> Unpublished document: Strafford, L & May, R (ArcHeritage). 2016. The Duck Decoy and Ice House, Hardwick Hall, Derbyshire: Archaeological Report. HER Doc. No. 1861.



Grid reference Centred SK 45823 63896 (12m by 11m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR4386

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 14 2016 9:59AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.