Listed Building record MDR6155 - Village Cross with Sundials, High Street, Barlborough
Type and Period (2)
- SUNDIAL (Stuart to 21st Century - 1700 AD? to 2050 AD)
- VILLAGE CROSS (Medieval to 21st Century - 1300 AD? to 2050 AD)
Village cross with sundials, High Street, Barlborough, in part a 14th century structure. 'At Barlborough, there is an old cross with two sundials.' (1) 'This cross comprises a base of two octagonal steps, c3.0m in overall width, with an octagonal socket stone with large pyramidal mouldings in the centre of four of its faces. The shaft is circular rising from a square socket, with a lantern head having three sundials, topped by a stone ball and the whole surmounted by a small iron cross. The head, shaft and possibly the socket-stone are of probable 18th century date; the steps may be medieval. See Ground photographs: AO/60/109/8 - Cross from the north.' (2) Barlborough Cross in 1945. Cross made of sandstone and coarse-white magnesium-limestone (?). Taken by Derbyshire Archaeological Society. Note that handwriting is difficult to read and so information may be incorrect. (3-4) From the National Heritage List for England: 'SK 47 NE PARISH OF BARLBOROUGH HIGH STREET 1/40 26.8.65 Village Cross GV II* Village cross or market cross. Probably C14, restored late C17 or early C18. Sandstone. Two octagonal steps up to a square base with chamfered corners and broaches. Surmounted by a circular column with moulded base and top, with a cube-shaped sundial above. Incised faces and metal gnomon. Ball finial above, surmounted by a cross. Listing NGR: SK4761677277.' (5)
- <1> SDR302 Bibliographic reference: Mee, A (ed). 1937. Derbyshire. 37.
- <2> SDR6496 Personal Observation: F1 WW 10-MAY-60.
- <3> SDR10865 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 0210. 0210.
- <4> SDR23383 Photograph: Derbyshire Archaeological Society. 1945. Barlborough Cross in 1945.
- <5> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1039862.
|Grid reference||SK 47616 77277 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BARLBOROUGH, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 12 2022 8:38PM