Listed Building record MDR6160 - St John The Baptist's Church, Church Lane, Clowne
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Medieval to 21st Century - 1100 AD? to 2050 AD)
St John The Baptist's Church, Church Lane, Clowne, originally a 12th century building. 'The first documentary reference to a church at Clowne seems to be in the reign of Henry III (1216-1272) when the church of All Saints was confirmed to the Priory of Worksop. According to the Liber Regis and to subsequent authorities, the church is dedicated to St John the Baptist. It seems probable, therefore, that the church changed its dedication at the time of its restoration or re-consecration. The church consists of a chancel, nave, south porch and western tower. Though the present building is much modernised, enough old work remains to prove its existence in the Norman days. There is also 13th and 14th century work and the tower at the west end was added in the 15th century.' (1) 'Outside the industrialized village. Perpendicular west tower with diagonal buttresses, battlements and pinnacles. Nave and chancel essentially Norman (chancel rebuilt in 1955). Norman chancel arch and chancel doorway. To the south of the chancel arch a Norman recess, perhaps in connexion with the altar at the east end of a former south aisle. Norman chancel doorway plain and narrow.' (2) The parish church of St. John the Baptist dates from the 12th, 14th, 18th and 19th centuries, with the chancel having been rebuilt in 1955. It is built from coursed squared limestone with ashlar dressings, a Welsh slate and cement slate roof and stone coped gables with plain kneelers. There is a west tower, nave with south porch, chancel and south chapel. The porch is 18th century with a broad, round arched entrance with a keystone, moulded imposts and hoodmould. The west tower is of two unequal stages with a chamfered plinth and diagonal buttresses with three set-offs. To the west side is an almost round-arched doorway, with a 19th century gothic door and a three-light Perp window above with panel tracery and hoodmould. The string course to the base of the bell-stage is chamfered and there are two-light bell-openings to each direction of the tower with panel tracery and hoodmoulds. The tower is topped by a battlemented parapet with four crocketted pinnacles. The Norman south doorway has one order of colonettes, spiral decoration in the capitals and an arch with one roll moulding. Inside the church is a Norman chancel arch on imposts with three shafts and capitals with several volute and similar varieties. There are Royal arms over the chancel arch and two lozenge-shaped hatchments on the west wall, together with four boards with painted texts. The west gallery has a raised and fielded panelled dado and there is a blocked round-arched north doorway. The nave roof has moulded canted tie-beams with cusped braces. The tower arch is double-chamfered but blocked below. The font is a circular tub. (3) The now replaced bells of Clowne church are historically significant. Two of them date from 1597 and 1616 respectively and are both made by H II Oldfield of Nottingham. The bells have been removed and conserved and modern bells have taken their place in the church. (4) From the National Heritage List for England: 'SK 47 NE PARISH OF CLOWNE CHURCH LANE 1/110 (North Side) 26.8.65 Church of St John the Baptist II* Parish church. C12, C14, C18, C19. Chancel rebuilt 1955. Coursed squared limestone with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate and cement slate roof. Stone coped gables with plain kneelers. West tower, nave with south porch, chancel and south chapel. The south side of the chancel has a flat-roofed C20 projection with a window of five lancets. The south side of the nave has three windows of paired round-arched lights. Recessed and chamfered surrounds. C18 gabled south porch. Broad round-arched entrance with keystone, moulded imposts and hoodmould. To the left a similar but smaller 2-light window set high up. West tower of two unequal stages. Chamfered plinth and diagonal buttresses with three set-offs. To the west is an almost round- arched doorway, with C19 gothick door. Three-light Perp window above with panel tracery and hoodmould. Chamfered string course to base of bell-stage. Two-light bell-openings in each direction with panel tracery and hoodmoulds. Battlemented parapet with four crocketted pinacles. The north side is pebble-dashed and has two large buttresses with multiple set-offs. Low C20 additions not of special interest. Two flat-arched 2-light mullioned windows set high up. Large C20 flat-roofed addition to north side of chancel corresponding to that on the south side. East window of three stepped, slightly pointed, arches. Norman south doorway with one order of colonettes, spiral decoration in the capitals and an arch with one roll moulding. Interior: Norman chancel arch on imposts with three shafts and capitals with several volute and similar varieties. Two roll-moulded orders. Flanked by segmental arched doorways. Royal arms over the chancel arch and two lozenge-shaped hatchments on the west wall, together with four boards with painted texts. West gallery, raised and fielded panelled dado. Blocked round-arched north doorway. The nave roof has moulded canted tie-beams with cusped braces. Double-chamfered tower arch, blocked below. Circular tub font. Listing NGR: SK4982875294.' (5)
- <1> SDR11673 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J. 1875. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. I. 193-195.
- <2> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised.
- <3> SDR10937 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 0740. 0740.
- <4> SDR23468 Unpublished document: Church of England. 2007. Identification of bells and bell frames of historic significance.
- <5> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1040039?section=official-list-entry.
|Grid reference||SK 49828 75294 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CLOWNE, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 12 2022 9:39PM