Listed Building record MDR6162 - Stables/service wing, Barlborough Hall, Barlborough
Type and Period (2)
- OUTBUILDING (Elizabethan to Victorian - 1600 AD to 1900 AD)
- STABLE (Elizabethan to Victorian - 1600 AD to 1900 AD)
A long, two-storey red brick service wing stands at right angles to the south front of Barlborough Hall. It is connected to the house by 19th century corridors. Built before 1639, it has a crude classical doorway and mullion-and- transom-cross windows. Further west are stone stables, with a small ruinous banqueting house attached to the south gable [see SMR 1108]. (1) The service structures commonly known as the Stable Block historically contained space for an array of operations beyond stabling. By 1815 these included stabling, a washroom, a brew-house and accommodation for other domestic and agricultural industries. Drawings made in the mid-19th century illustrate that extensive alterations had been made to the Stable Block. These provided new accommodation for service rooms removed from the Hall, with the room in the south-est corner of the Stable Block changing from stables in 1815 to a washroom in 1858. (2) Tree-ring dating of timbers from the stables was carried out by English Heritage in 2014. This resulted in the construction of two site sequences, only one of which could be securely dated. Site sequence BARLSQ01 contains two samples and spans the period AD 1580-1663. Interpretation of the sapwood suggests felling of both timbers in AD 1678-1703, with construction of the roof following shortly after. (3)
- <1> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p. 83.
- <2> SDR21200 Unpublished document: Thomson, J (Wessex Archaeology). 2010. Barlborough Hall, Barlborough, Derbyshire. Archaeological Watching Brief. HER Doc. No. 1400.
- <3> SDR23690 Unpublished document: Arnold, A & Howard, R (English Heritage). 2014. Barlborough Hall, Ward Lane, Barlborough, Derbyshire: Tree-Ring Dating of Timbers.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4772 7825 (84m by 63m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||BARLBOROUGH, BOLSOVER, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 15 2020 10:34AM