SK 45597674 Beightonfields Priory. 18th century house probably including the remains of a medieval house and medieval hospital of St Luke the Evangelist (?site of), late medieval farm buildings, pond bays and earthworks (remains of). (1)
The site is listed as a hospital at Beighton or Beightonfields on the strength of a 1335 reference " … the leprous men of the hospital of St. Luke the Evangelist atte Briggesende of Beghton". (2-4)
Beightonfields came by marriage into the possession of the Boudon family in 1665. "The house was originally a hospice for aged and sick monks chiefly from Welbeck Abbey, and a block of monks' cells is still to be seen, also a hiding hole where priests were secreted.." (5) NB This authority (Bulmer) confuses Beighton Fields with Barlborough House in his account.
Beightonfields Priory is identified by former and present owners as the house mentioned by Bulmer (authority 4). A farm building at SK4563 7674, is locally identified as the remains of the hospital. The main building is a large 18th century house of brick and stone. A small mullioned window in the east wall, to a former kitchen, appears to be a re-used 17th century type and indicates that the present house incorporates the remains of an earlier building. The farm building, described locally as the remains of the hospital, is a tall, four-storied rectangular structure of stone with original small stone-framed openings on its second floor and probably later wooden-lintel openings on other floors. It is in very poor condition. Its identification with the hospital is apparently based on its unusual height and plan and the sub-division of the four storeys into smaller compartments by wooden partitioning. However, its height and plan appear to be due to it having formed a corner building in a courtyard-type enclosure of which this building and parts of the wall alone survive. The partitioning of the building is as likely to be for farm purposes as any other and, in the opinion of this investigator, the structure is a late medieval farm building. (6)
Both the surviving structure and the rural location are atypical for a leper house. In addition, the 14th century description noted above refers to the hospital being at the end of a bridge. The nearest watercourse, about 150m away to the north-east, is no more than a stream and would not have required the sort of bridge which would be referred to in a place name. It is more likely that the medieval reference is to a hospital near the crossing of the Rother at Beighton in South Yorkshire (8)
Beighton Priory is a small country house built in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries from red brick and coursed squared sandstone, with sandstone dressings and quoins and machine tile roofs. The gables are stone coped with plain kneelers and there are brick ridge and gable chimney stacks. It is two storeys with attics and is H-shaped in plan. The west elevation is of 2-3-2 bays, the outer bays are projecting and gabled with a central doorway in the central bay with a moulded stone door case, segmental pediment and a raised and fielded panelled door. The rear elevation is of brick with stone dressings and has a flight of semi-circular stone steps up to a plain central doorway. The interior has two dogleg staircases, one is open string with two turned balusters per tread, carved tread ends, and wreathed and ramped handrail. The other has closed string and splat balusters. There is some seventeenth century style panelling and 18th century style chimneypieces. (9)
Barn to north and barn to south are partially now used as farm storage. Listed building consent application received for stabilisation and repair. (10)