The nucleus of Mount St Mary's Roman Catholic College, Spinkhill, is a 17th century house, much altered for the school in 1842 by the architect Joseph Aloysius Hanson. Wings were added in 1859. The new school was built in 1876. (1)
Mount St Mary's College was first founded by Jesuit fathers at Stanley Grange near Derby in 1620. After numerous changes, the College was formally opened in 1842 under the dedication of the Immaculate Conception in the hamlet of Spinkhill, a property of the Pole family. The College buildings date, in part, from the 16th and 17th centuries, the Sodality Chapel being the earliest remaining building. Joseph Hansom, an architect and inventor of the Hansom Cab, built the first College-specific buildings in 1840. The Hopkins wing (girls) was constructed a little alter in 1850, and the New College was begun in 1876 and completed in 1912. The school Chapel, was dedicated as a war memorial in 1924. The Ante Chapel enshrines the names of 100 Old Mountaineers who dies in the Great War 1914-18. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p 324.
*Internet Web Site: Mount St Mary's College. Our History. http://www.msmcollege.com/msm-school/the-school/our-history. Website viewed 04/06/2015.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4551 7874 (143m by 154m) (Centre)
ECKINGTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 10 2021 6:51PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.