Skip to main content

Listed Building record MDR6207 - Netherthorpe Grammar School, Netherthorpe, Staveley

Type and Period (2)

  • (Elizabethan to Early 20th Century - 1586 AD? to 1929 AD?)
  • (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1929 AD? to 2050 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

Netherthorpe Grammar School, Netherthorpe, Staveley, originally a 16th century building. Staveley or Netherthorpe Grammar School, cited in the will of Francis Rodes, 1586, giving the endowment 'of the new erected Grammer Scole'. (1) Staveley Grammar School was founded and endowed at Netherthorpe apparently by Francis Rhodes of Staveley Woodthorpe, Justice of Common Pleas, by writ of 7th June 1586. The school was further endowed by indenture of Margaret Freschville, 6th September 1591, and by Robert Sitwell of Renishaw, 20th April 1598. (2) The earliest known schoolmaster is William Margerison in 1587. A number of other schoolmasters can be traced through the 17th, 18th and early 19th centuries. The school was closed between 1848 and 1865, during which time it was used as a cobbler's shop. It re-opened in 1865 with Lt.-Col. Francis Albert Turner as schoolmaster. (3) In 1647 Roger Steare of Chesterfield moved from Sheffield School to Staveley School. Staveley School was smaller, having only one master, and did not send so many pupils to the universities. Steare became rector of Staveley in 1653 but may have combined the posts of schoolmaster and rector. (4) It is almost impossible to fix the exact date of the school. Traditionally it was founded in 1572 but this is apparently an error based on a much-copied document in which the date is fictitious. In 1586 Judge Francis de Rhodes left two rent charges for the school's upkeep. The school has been closed several times since its foundation. The old school building remains substantially the same. It is an oblong building of sandstone with an old two-storey porch at its south-west corner. When first built, the schoolroom had a flat roof later replaced by the present pitched one. All the windows are not originals; those that are replacements are in keeping with the original design. (5) The 16th or 17th century school house is now the library of Netherthorpe Grammer School. It is a rectangular, two-gabled building of irregularly coursed stone with a high drip-course and stone quoins. The much - restored windows are mullioned and transomed and the roof is stone-tiled. At the west end of the south front is a gabled two storey porch. The upper storey is an extension of a floor that is confined to the west end of the building and is the width of the porch. The rest of the school house is of single storey construction and is open to the roof. The porch has a semi-circular arched entrance above which is a sundial with a small stone below it inscribed 1697 - probably recut. Two small chambers over the porch were occupied by the masters until 1804. Modern buildings have been added on the north side. (6) Grammar School, Netherthorpe. Founded in 1591. Probably not the building that still exists, gabled, with an asymmetrical porch and three-light mullioned and transomed windows. Sundial over the porch dated 1697. The building could well be of this date. Lysons says it was rebuilt in 1698. (7) Grade II listed building. C16. Ashlar; single-storeyed; 3 three-light stone mullioned and transomed windows with leaded lights; projecting 2-storey gabled porch to left; one two-light coped gable with stone slab roof; round-headed arch with archivolt bands; drips and plinth; sundial over door, dated 1697. (8) Staveley: Staveley Netherthorpe (Secondary), Ralph Road. 1929. Large extensions designed by George Henry Widdows to the Grade 2 listed 17th century original school. Listed by attachment to it. (13) From the National Heritage List for England: 'NETHERTHORPE 1. 1675A Netherthorpe School SK 47 SW 2/19 25.2.66. II 2. C16. Ashlar; single-storeyed; 3 three-light stone mullioned and transomed windows with leaded lights; projecting 2 storey gabled porch to left; one two-light coped gable with stone slab roof; round-headed arch with archivolt bands; drips and plinth; sundial over door, dated 1697. Listing NGR: SK4416074669.' (14)

Sources/Archives (14)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Havefield, F.. 1907. VCH Derbyshire Vol 2. Volume 2. 266-267.
  • <2> Article in serial: Lawrance, H. 1919. 'Derbyshire Grammar Schools', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 20, pp 73-85. 82.
  • <3> Article in serial: Godfrey, W. 1940. 'Some Derbyshire grammar school masters', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 61, pp 38-40.
  • <4> Article in serial: Wallis, P J. 1955. 'Roger Steare of Chesterfield', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume75, pp 62-65.
  • <5> Bibliographic reference: Court, A. 1948. Staveley: Some Historical Notes, 2nd edition. 40.
  • <6> Bibliographic reference: F1 WW 03-JUN-59.
  • <7> Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. 328.
  • <8> Bibliographic reference: DOE (HHR) Staveley UD Derby Mar 1974 6.
  • <9> Index: NDAT. 1831. 1831.
  • <10> Bibliographic reference: Lysons, D & Lysons, S. 1817. Magna Britannia, Volume 5: Derbyshire. 266.
  • <11> Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. 260.
  • <12> Bibliographic reference: Bagshaw, S. 1846. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Derbyshire. 668-669.
  • <13> Unpublished document: Morrison, A B. 2004. Surviving Widdows Buildings in Derbyshire. 6.
  • <14> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.



Grid reference SK 44160 74669 (point) (Centre)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR780

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 28 2021 9:59PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.